This past year has been rough for many. And it appears we're not out of the woods just yet, given recent developments. As such, we might expect the mandatory wearing of masks to remain in place for a while longer.
For iPhone users who utilise the Face ID feature that unlocks their handset via facial recognition, will Face ID no longer work with a mask on? Fortunately, one smart user found an innovative solution to unlock an iPhone while still wearing a mask.
How to Unlock an iPhone While Wearing a Mask
TikTok user @kaansanity uploaded a video to the social media platform on 28 June 2020. As of 15 July 2021, it has been watched 55.9 million times. The video explains how to use your voice to unlock your iPhone.
Here’s how it’s done:
– Go to Settings -> Accessibility
– Click on ‘Voice Control’ which can be found under ‘Physical and Motor’
– Enable voice control, then click ‘Customise commands’
– Tap ‘Create new command’ and type the command you wish to say to open your phone (e.g. unlock)
– Click on ‘Action’ -> ‘Run custom gesture’.
– Now, the next step will require some estimation on your end. Tap the spots where the numbers of your password would typically be. So, pretend like you were typing in your PIN on the screen (e.g. if your PIN is 123456, tap on the screen where 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 would be if you were unlocking your phone)
– Press ‘Stop’ on the bottom right and then ‘Save’ on the top right
– Go back to the ‘New command’ page and click ‘Save’
– Lock your screen, and say the command you set (e.g. unlock), and your iPhone will auto-tap your PIN and unlock the screen
The Latest iOS Update Includes a Workaround
More recently, Apple released its iOS 14.6 update. However, already released in the previous iOS 14.5 update was the ability to unlock your iPhone using Face ID when you’re wearing your Apple Watch.
You’ll also need to update your Apple Watch to the latest Apple Watch iOS - watchOS 7.4 and after - which was also recently rolled out.
If you have an iPhone and an Apple Watch with the latest updates, here’s how to unlock your iPhone using this feature:
– Go to Settings -> Face ID and Passcode
– In this sub-menu you should see the option ‘Unlock with Apple Watch’ - turn this on
And that’s it! It’s really a fantastic addition to the features and functions of Apple devices, making things easier for their users.
Additional Features of iOS 14.5 You’ll Love
In addition to the latest Apple Watch Face ID unlock feature, there are a few other reasons to update to the new iOS 14.5 and after, including:
– AirTag support: If you’re planning to buy one or more AirTags to attach to your belongings to track them, you need to have at least an iOS 14.5 to do so.
– Updated Emojis list: A ton of new Emojis when you update to the latest iOS!
– App tracking transparency: With iOS 14.5 and beyond, apps now have to ask you for permission to track your activities when the app is closed, and you are not using it.
– Added Siri voices: There are now a total of 4 voices you can choose from for Siri, compared to the two that were available in previous iOS versions.
– Music app updates: You’ll notice quite a few changes to design and UX after you update to the latest iOS. For example, swiping left and right on tracks to trigger actions like download, add to library and add to playlist. You can even command Siri to play a song from any of your music apps. With time, Siri will even learn about your preferred apps and immediately play tunes without additional prompts.
With all these amazing features, if you have an iPhone, update to iOS 14.5 or 14.6! If you don’t have an iPhone just yet, what are you waiting for? Check out the latest iPhone 12 models at M1 and pay as little as $0 upfront on a Bespoke Flexi Plan!