1. Test Equipment and Computer used
|Optical Network Terminal (ONT) used
- Huawei HG8240
- Huawei HN8055Q (for plans above 1Gbps)
Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
- OS X El Capitan
- Version 10.11.6
- Processor 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7
- Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
2. Sample Size and Methodology
A total of 1440 data points were collected over a period of 24 hours for each speed plan.
The computers used for testing were connected to the ONT via a LAN cable. Every hour, downloads from all the sites listed below were initiated and the process was repeated for 24 hours so that both peak and off-peak hours were covered.
3. Location of Test
These data points were collected at different locations (Jurong/Aljunied) to provide geographical spread.
4. Websites and size of file transfer
The download throughput was assessed based on a balanced mix of local and international servers/websites with size of file transfer ranging from 100MB – 1000MB. List of websites as follows is for reference, and is not a comprehensive list:
5. Computation of typical speed
Typical download speed range for the respective plans were derived by taking the result at the 10th and 90th percentile of the speed distribution from the data points collected. Therefore this will represent the typical speed range that users can experience 80% of the time based on the above test conditions and parameters stipulated.
6. Explanation of factors affecting Fibre Broadband speeds
Many factors affect the download speed and delivery of internet traffic. Some of these are:
- The broadband device/equipment used
- The load on the local/international websites (the number of other people online & network associated traffic)
- Your computer network configurations and software you're running, such as Outlook or Internet Explorer
- Your type of internet connection (wired LAN/ Wireless connection)
- The number of people your broadband connection is shared with
- Viruses, spy-wares and file-sharing software