What is zero-touch enrollment?
Zero-touch enrollment is a streamlined process for Android devices to be provisioned for enterprise management. On first boot, devices check to see if they’ve been assigned an enterprise configuration. If so, the device initiates the fully managed device provisioning method and downloads the correct device policy controller app, which then completes setup of the managed device.
Android zero-touch enrollment offers a seamless deployment method for corporate-owned Android devices making large scale roll-outs fast, easy and secure for organizations, IT and employees. Zero-touch makes it simple to configure devices online and have them shipped with enforced management so employees can open the box and get started.
To use zero-touch enrollment, you’ll need the following:
- A compatible device running Android 8.0 Oreo™, purchased from a reseller partner like M1
- An enterprise mobility management (EMM) provider supporting fully managed devices
Which Android devices are supported?
You can find a list of compatible devices in the Android site's zero-touch device collection.
What if I want to purchase zero-touch devices?
Devices eligible for zero-touch enrollment need to be purchased directly from an enterprise reseller or Google™ partner and not through a consumer store. Contact your account manager from M1 to enquire about eligible devices.
Which EMMs support zero-touch enrollment?
Most EMM providers (for Android) support zero-touch enrollment. A list of compatible EMMs can be found in the Android site's Partners list. Contact your account manager from M1 enquire about the most suitable EMM for your organization.
How to use zero-touch enrollment
You manage zero-touch enrollment for your organization from an online portal in your web browser. We call this the zero-touch enrollment portal, or often just portal when describing zero-touch enrollment. Use this document, and your EMM’s documentation, to help you complete the following steps:
- Purchase your devices from M1 and set up a zero-touch enrollment account for your organization.
- Create a configuration in the portal that consists of your EMM choice and mobile policies.
- Set the default configuration or manually apply your configuration to a range of devices.
You can also use the portal to:
- Activate and deactivate the resellers from whom your organization purchases devices.
- Control access to the portal for users in your organization.
*Google and Android are trademarks of Google LLC.
*Oreo is a registered trademark from Mondelez International, Inc. group.