- What is Umbrella service?
Cisco Umbrella is a cloud security platform that provides the first line of defense against threats on the internet.
- How is it different from a firewall?
Cisco Umbrella provides the first line of defense against threats on the internet. Umbrella uses DNS to stop threats over all ports and protocol. It stop malware before it reaches endpoints or network.
- Who can subscribe Umbrella service?
This service is available to the M1 enterprise customers who subscribe to a new or existing M1 fiber broadband line under the following plans.
- Fibre BizPac Static (GPON)
- Fibre BizPac Dynamic (GPON) with 1 static IP
- Fibre BizPac Static (XGPON)
- GigE Fibre SymPON Internet Static
- GigE Fibre FTTB Internet Static
The Umbrella protection is only available on devices that are always connected to the subscribed M1 fiber broadband.
- Can I have multiple Umbrella subscriptions for a single M1 fiber broadband line?
No, each Umbrella subscription is tied to a single M1 fiber broadband line.
- I have subscribed to M1 fiber broadband plan that provides me multiple static IP addresses. Will the Umbrella service be available on all the IP address?
Yes, Umbrella will be available on all the IP address. Please note that all the IP addresses will need to be configured with the same security policy.
- Are there any usage scenarios where Umbrella does not work?
Enterprise customers need to take note of the following scenarios.
- If the end device is a roaming device that is not connected to your fiber broadband network (e.g. public WiFi hotspot or 3G mobile data network), Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If your organization requires all the web traffic to traverse through a proxy (including the DNS queries), the proxy should point the DNS server to Umbrella DNS server IP address 188.8.131.52/ 184.108.40.206. Otherwise Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If the end device or the organization is using a VPN connection that use its own DNS setting, Umbrella security protection may not be available.
- If the end device, any of the LAN network routing devices or fiber broadband router is configured with a DNS server setting which is different from Umbrella’s DNS server 220.127.116.11/ 18.104.22.168, Umbrella security protection may not be available.
- If the WAN IP of your fiber broadband router is dynamic, Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If the end-device or any of the LAN network routing devices has installed or configured for any other URL filtering software/ service, it may interfere with Umbrella security protection.
- If the WAN IP address of the fiber broadband router has been altered by the organization and the organization did not update M1 to make the necessary changes, Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If the end device, any of the LAN network routing devices or the fiber broadband router is configured with firewall rules that prevent DNS query to reach to Umbrella DNS server IP address 22.214.171.124/ 126.96.36.199, Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If the end user attempts to access a site through its IP address instead of the domain name Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- If the end user access a website through an application or a software (instead of a web browser) that has its own network connectivity configurations that prevents it from using Umbrella DNS server for DNS resolution, Umbrella security protection will not be available.
- My internet is not working after I activated Umbrella service.
There might be some problems with your Umbrella configurations. You might want to contact M1 helpdesk 66555577 to assist with your problem.
- My Umbrella service does not seem to be working when I am accessing a malicious site from my device.
You might want to check if the Umbrella service is activated for your network by visiting the sites https://welcome.umbrella.com,
If the site indicates that the Umbrella service is not activated, you might want to ensure that your end device and your LAN network do not fall under any of the scenarios a-j of the FAQ item #6. If that is not the case, you might want to contact M1 helpdesk 66555577 to assist with your problem.
If the site indicates that the Umbrella service is activated, you might want to contact M1 helpdesk 66555577 to assist with your problem.
- My Umbrella service is blocking a non-malicious website.
Your Umbrella blacklist configurations might have prevented you from reaching that website. You might want to contact M1 helpdesk 66555577 to assist with your problem.
- I am an Umbrella subscriber. My organization came under a hacker attack wherein the hacker posted a malware on a website and my organization’s users accidentally downloaded the malware on their devices and the devices were compromised. Why was Umbrella not able to protect my organization in this case?
Umbrella is able to prevent access to a malicious website domain. There might be following reasons for Umbrella not able to prevent the access to the website.
- The user(s) might have bypassed Umbrella DNS to access the website.
- The website might have redirected the user to an IP address thus bypassing Umbrella DNS security.
- This might be a zero day attack scenario where the website might not have been in the Umbrella blacklist or listed as a malicious domain.
Please note that Umbrella is able to protect users against access to malicious web domains. However, Umbrella is not intended to provide endpoint protection and will not be able to prevent malware downloads and execution if the user bypass Umbrella to access malicious web domains.
- If my end device has been compromised with a malware, can Umbrella prevent the malware communication with its remote Command and Control (CnC) server?
In most scenarios, Umbrella will be able to prevent the malware communication with its remote CnC server so long as the CnC server is indicated as a web domain in the malware and requires a DNS resolution.
- I manage my own fiber broadband router. How can I configure Cisco Umbrella service?
As long as router comes from M1, there will be one time installation on-site support to setup DNS without any charges. For the routers not managed by M1, there will not be any subsequent maintenance and support.
- I have a problem with my Umbrella service that is not covered above. How can I get help?
You might want to contact M1 helpdesk 66555577 to assist with your problem. The helpline is open 24 hours and 7 days a week. Our response time is next business day.