Frequently Asked Question
- What is NFC?
Near Field Communication (NFC) is the wireless technology that enables your phone to communicate with other NFC devices in close proximity. Apart from making cashless transactions at retail outlets, you will be able to access interactive promotional content from NFC-enabled posters, earn loyalty points fand redeem merchant coupons and rewards. With NFC, you are also able to share content such as photos, videos, music with friends having an NFC-enabled phone.
Activate this service at $9.10 (one-time charge) now. Other SIM card and registration charge applies.
Earn and redeem Perx points by simply travelling with your NFC EZ-Link account. Learn more
- How do I enjoy the benefits of NFC technology?
You will need an M1 NFC SIM card installed into an NFC-enabled mobile phone.
- Can I use an NFC handset model that is not found in the endorsed list?
M1 will not be liable for any malfunction of the NFC SIM card and/or its NFC payment services arising from or in connection with the use of any inappropriate handsets/devices. Especially if the model and operating system is not certified. Please note, many phones may be VISA/MasterCard certified but they may not have received certification from Gemalto, or the local payment service providers. M1 will continue to work with its partners to expand the list of its NFC-enabled phone models. For more information, please click here.
- Can I make payments with an NFC mobile phone on a normal Postpaid SIM?
Making payments with an NFC-enabled mobile phone requires an NFC SIM installed on the phone. One will not work without the other.
- Is Multi SIM available on NFC SIM?
Yes. The function of NFC SIM being the primary SIM works similarly like the primary SIM of Multi SIM service on BlackBerry. Only the BlackBerry with the primary SIM installed is able to receive the BlackBerry service. Likewise, the NFC SIM is the primary SIM which must be installed on the NFC-enabled mobile phone in order for the customer to use the NFC service.
- Can I use my NFC SIM on an NFC-enabled handset that has dual-SIM Card slots?
Yes. However, not all SIM slots support NFC SIM Cards. e.g. on certain NFC-enabled handset models, SIM slot 1 supports NFC SIM Cards whereas SIM slot 2 does not. Please be advised to refer to your handset specifications for more information.
- What is NFC EZ-Link?
It is another contactless payment service that enables you to make secure mobile payments at all retail merchant terminals that accept payment by EZ-Link. Currently, the NFC EZ-Link can be used for transit payments such as SMRT trains and buses.
- Is there a difference between a normal EZ-Link card (physical card) and M1 NFC EZ-Link account?
The M1 NFC EZ-Link account enables you to make payments at all retail merchant terminals that accept payment by EZ-Link, and can be used for transit payments such as SMRT trains and buses. However, the M1 NFC EZ-Link account is not eligible for Concessionary Passes.
- Where are the M1 NFC payment services stored?
They are stored in the "Secure Element" (EMV chip) of the M1 NFC SIM. If you change your NFC mobile phone, you have to use the existing NFC SIM on the new NFC mobile phone, which contains your payment services such as M1 NFC Prepaid MasterCard and NFC EZ-Link accounts to continue using them.
- Are the NFC payment service accounts transferrable to another NFC SIM?
If you change to a new SIM, please note that the M1 NFC Prepaid MasterCard & NFC EZ-Link accounts in the old NFC SIM card will not be transferred to the new SIM card. It will be a new NFC Prepaid MasterCard account and NFC EZ-Link account.
- What is the validity of the payment service accounts?
NFC EZ-Link: 5 years
*Validity of NFC SIM card starts from the manufacturing date. Please note that validity is not extendable.
- Can I still use any of the payment service account once it expires?
Upon expiry of the payment service accounts, you will not be able to perform any transactions (e.g. top-up, online or retail purchases).
- I would like to continue to use the expired payment service account(s), can I renew the account(s)?
Currently there is no renewal or transfer of any remaining value for expired payment service account(s). You can contact EZ-Link and request for a refund if there are remaining value in NFC EZ-Link account.
If you wish to continue to use the NFC payment service accounts after expiry, a replacement of NFC SIM is required*. A new NFC Ez-Link account will be given.
*NFC SIM and its related charges apply.
- Are the payment services credit, debit or prepaid?
NFC ez-link is a prepaid service. You need to ensure that there are sufficient funds in the account in order to make a mobile payment successfully. When faced with insufficient funds in the account, you may top-up the account separately.
- Can the NFC ez-link account be linked to a GIRO facility?
The EZ-Reload (Credit Card/GIRO) facility is only available for NFC ez-link accounts that are linked to an NFC Transit SIM.
- Where can I get the account number of the payment services?
It may be found via the EZ-Link Mobile App under the "NFC" tab.
- Who can subscribe to the NFC service offered at M1?
It is available to any Singapore mobile user who has a postpaid mobile subscription plan with M1 with an NFC-enabled mobile phone. To use the NFC service, you require an NFC SIM.
- How can I subscribe to the NFC service?
Simply visit the nearest M1 Shop to purchase an NFC SIM and buy an NFC-enabled mobile phone. For existing customers with an NFC-enabled mobile phone, request to get your existing SIM upgraded to an NFC SIM.
- Can I purchase an NFC SIM without the NFC phone?
Yes. However, you are required to provide an NFC-enabled mobile phone for the shop to activate the payment services. A customer without an NFC-enabled mobile phone on hand may not upgrade to an NFC SIM.
- How do I register for NFC ez-link?
In the event of loss or damage of NFC SIM, registration helps to secure the customer's account information for verification. Additionally, customer can temporary suspend or reactivate his account for the above mentioned scenarios.
You can register using the EZ-Link App, or on EZ-Link's website at http://ezlinkactivate.com.sg
- How do I access and use the payment services for mobile payments?
- Your NFC EZ-Link account is set as default and ready to use at any time.
- Advise the merchant beforehand that ez-link is your preferred mode of payment.
- Tap your NFC mobile phone on the terminal and wait for the "transaction successful" message.
- Download the EZ-link app to top up your balance.
- Is there a limit to the amount per transaction when using the NFC payment service?
- Why is my transaction declined?
Transactions may be declined due to inactive/ terminated/ suspended/ expired status of the account. It may also be due to connection issues with the payment terminals.
- Where can I use the payment services on M1's NFC SIM?
You can use the payment services at all of MasterCard’s Contactless-accepting merchants worldwide and EZ-Link-accepting merchants with the NFC logo and public transit payment gantries. Do note that the NFC EZ-Link may not be used for VEP, ERP and EPS payments.
- Nothing happens when I attempt to make an NFC payment with my Samsung Galaxy S III even though the NFC function is enabled (NFC check-box is ticked). What shall I do?
This could be caused by a known issue with Samsung GALAXY S III which disables the NFC function after restart. Do disable the NFC function (un-tick NFC check-box) and enable it again (tick NFC check-box) before retrying.
- I have lost my NFC mobile phone. What shall I do?
In case you lose your mobile phone, please contact M1 customer service and request for your mobile line to be suspended from use. Upon line suspension, please call EZ-Link on your mobile line suspension.
- I want to terminate my mobile line and NFC service. What shall I do?
To terminate your mobile line, please contact M1 Customer Service hotline at 1627. Please note, upon termination of your mobile line, you need to contact EZ-Link and request termination of your NFC payment services.
- My NFC SIM is corrupted and I cannot use the NFC payment services. What shall I do?
Kindly approach M1 Customer Service Centre staff for verification. If applicable, we will do a replacement of your NFC SIM card. Upon replacement, kindly contact EZ-Link to request for a transfer of any remaining value to the new NFC SIM where applicable. Please note that before a transfer request can be made, EZ-Link will require your NFC payment service account information for verification.
For NFC ez-link support and enquiries
|+65 6496 8300
8am to 6pm daily, except public holidays