Frequently Asked Question
- What is the Open Electricity Market (OEM)?
Since 1 April 2018, Energy Market Authority (EMA) commenced the soft launch of the Open Electricity Market, where households in Jurong can choose to buy electricity from a retailer with a price plan that meets their needs.
Starting 1 November 2018, the Open Electricity Market will be extended to all consumers across Singapore by zones. Open Electricity Market will give consumers more choice and flexibility, while enjoying the same supply through the national power grid.
* Schedule is accurate as of 21 September 2018, but may be subject to further changes.
||Postal Code Starting With…
||To be launched from*
||58 - 78^
||1 November 2018
||53 - 57, 79 - 80, 82 - 83
||1 January 2019
||34 - 52, 81
||1 March 2019
||01 - 33
||1 May 2019
^ Consumers in Jurong (postal codes 60-64) have been able to buy electricity from a retailer since 1 April 2018.
- Who is Keppel Electric?
Keppel Electric is Singapore’s first home grown electricity retailer, with more 17 years of experience powering Singapore’s electricity grid. With the launch of Open Electricity Market, customers will be able to buy electricity directly from Keppel Electric and select a price plan that meets their needs.
- Why should I sign up for Keppel Electric through M1?
You get to enjoy additional perks when you sign you for Keppel Electric Plans.
- What are the different price plans available?
Keppel have various plans that fits your lifestyle and needs. Sign up for Fixed plans and enjoy peace of mind with a constant fixed rate throughout your contract period. Get a guaranteed discount off the prevailing tariffs rate through your contract period with the DOT plans. Lastly, gain attractive night savings with attractive Off-peak rate from 11pm to 7am with the Knight plan.
- Will there be any power disruption if I switch to Keppel Electric?
Switching from SP Group to Keppel Electric will be seamless and purely administrative for residential consumers. There will be no disruption to your electricity supply if you retain your existing meter type. There may be a temporary disruption to your electricity supply if you opt to switch to an Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Meter.
- What is an Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Meter?
Most residential premises today use a Cumulative Meter to measure their electricity consumption. Cumulative Meters are read by SP Group once every two months by sending meter readers to your premises to record your electricity usage. On the month where your meter is not read, SP Group will estimate the month's consumption based on an Energy Market Authority (EMA) approved methodology.
Smart Meters, otherwise known as Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Meters are digital meters which allow electricity consumption to be tracked and remotely read at half hourly intervals. Premises with Smart Meters will no longer require manual reading and estimation of electricity consumption.
- Am I required to change my electricity meter upon switching to Keppel?
It is not compulsory to switch to an AMI Meter when signing up with Keppel Electric.
- Are there any charges if I wish to change my electricity meter?
Yes, EMA has introduced a one-time installation fee of S$42.80 (after GST) per AMI meter.
- Who should I call in the event of power outage or disruption?
SP Group maintains the electricity transmission and distribution network. Please contact SP Group at 1800 778 8888 (24-Hr Electricity Service Centre) in the event of any power outage or disruption to your electricity supply.
- What is Carbon Tax? Am I liable to pay for this after I switch to Keppel Electric?
Carbon tax is a fee imposed to sustain our clean, green and liveable environment, and to help Singapore transform into a low-carbon economy. Keppel Electric absorbs the carbon tax across all their electricity plans and you will not need to pay for it.
- What is Keppel Electric's hotline and operating hours?
You may contact Keppel Electric at (65) 6803 3000 on Monday – Friday between 9am – 6pm (excluding Public Holidays)
- How long does it take for my electricity account to be transferred from SP Group to Keppel Electric?
The estimated time required to transfer your electricity account to Keppel Electric varies as listed below:
| No meter change:
|With Smart Meter:
- When will I receive my M1 exclusive rewards?
You will receive your M1 exclusive rewards only when your transfer to Keppel Electric is successful. This may take up to 2 mths.
- Can I change my promotion after sign-up/re-contract?
No, upon signing up/re-contract or upon redemption, you will not be able to change your promotion.
- Where can I find my SP Account Number?
Your 10 -digit SP Account Number can be found at the top right hand corner of your SP Services Utilities Bill.
When you decide to switch to buy electricity from a retailer, a new account – known as the Market Support Service (MSS) account – will be created with SP Group who is the Market Support Services Licensee (MSSL).
A new Keppel Electric account number will also be created once customers have successfully switched over.
- Must the person who signs up be the same person who is the SP Account holder? Can I sign up on behalf of someone?
Yes, customer has to be the same person who is the SP account holder or he will need to provide an authorisation letter that he/she is authorized to sign up on behalf of the by the electricity account holder.
- I am renting this house / I am a tenant. Can I sign up?
Yes, customers must:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Provide authorisation letter
- Furnish the identification document of the authorised representative as well as the account holder and email them back to Keppel Electric
- I would like to continue my electricity account with Keppel Electric after moving house.
Your electricity contract with Keppel Electric can be transferred from your current premise to your new premise. Please contact Keppel at (65) 6803 3000 or
firstname.lastname@example.org, to facilitate the transfer.
- What happens if I want to terminate after I complete the sign up process?
Once the sign up is completed, you will receive a contract. Early termination charge will apply if you terminate the contract prematurely. Please contact Keppel at (65) 6803 3000 or email@example.com, should you wish to terminate your contract.
- I have just gotten the keys to my new house. How do I sign up with Keppel Electric if I have no electricity account?
You will need to first open your electricity account with SP Group together with your water and gas utilities. Upon receiving your first bill from SP Group, you will then be eligible to sign up with Keppel Electric.
- What will happen if my contract with Keppel Electric expires?
If your contract with Keppel expires, it will be automatically renewed at a rate (determined by Keppel) that is lower than SP’s prevailing regulated tariffs.
- How can I check the status of my Keppel Electric application?
Please contact Keppel at (65) 6803 3000, or write in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Who will be reading my electricity meter after I switch to Keppel?
SP Group is the sole licensed meter reader for all Residential and Business consumers in Singapore.
- How do I know if my meter reading is accurate?
SP Group is the sole licensed meter reader for all Residential and Business consumers in Singapore. You may request for your meter(s) to be tested by SP Group. In the event the meter is found to be working according to the Metering Code, SP Group may impose a service fee for the test. Meter accuracy is governed by the Metering Code issued by the Energy Market Authority (EMA). The Metering Code is available on EMA's website at www.ema.gov.sg.
- Will there be any disruption to my electricity supply if I am switching to the AMI meter?
Yes, there may be a need for a temporary disruption to your electricity supply (no more than 30 minutes). SP Group's technical representative will advise on the disruption time (if any) on the day of installation.
- What are the payment modes available to Keppel Electric?
Keppel Electric offers the following payment modes:
- GIRO (DBS/POSB)
- GIRO (Other banks)
- Credit card (Visa MasterCard)
- Bill payment via your DBS and UOB Bank
- Cash @ Keppel Electric Office only
- How do I apply for GIRO payment with Keppel Electric?
Click here to download the GIRO form and mail it to the following address.
Keppel Electric Pte Ltd
1 HarbourFront Avenue
#05-05 Keppel Bay Tower
- How do I switch from paper billing to e-billing, and vice versa?
Please contact Keppel at (65) 6803 3000, or write in to email@example.com.
- I signed up for Keppel Electric through M1. How will I be billed for my electricity?
You will receive your electricity bill directly from Keppel Electric. Separately, you will continue to receive bills from SP Group for other utilities such as water and gas.
For billing enquiries, please contact Keppel Electric directly at (65) 6803 3000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- What if my payment is late?
A late fee of 1% per month on your Keppel account's outstanding amount is applicable if the payment is not received by invoice due date.
- What will happen to my existing security deposit with SP Group if I switch to Keppel Electric?
Your security deposit with SP Group is non-transferable. SP Group will use your security deposit to offset any subsequent amount outstanding with them.
- Do I have to pay Security Deposit?
Security deposit is waived for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents. Consumers holding a foreign identification number will be required to pay Security deposit based on the dwelling type. However, Keppel Electric reserves the right to charge and collect Security deposit in future based on the credit profile of our consumers.